Over the last few years, avocado toast has taken the foodie world by storm as an iconic Sunday brunch staple—and for good reason.
The combination of crispy toasted bread, creamy avocado, and sea salt seems so simple yet somehow transforms into absolute magic in your mouth.
Like most people, I am a major avocado toast lover. I’m obsessed with how easy and foolproof it is while being incredibly decadent and wholesome at the same time.
But one of my favorite things about this healthy breakfast dish? There are SO many ways to customize it.
This amazing dish can be served simply with nothing but fresh avocado and a little salt, or you can spice things up with a plethora of your favorite toppings.
Avocado is super mild in flavor, which means it can be paired with tons of different foods. I like to have fun with my toast by adding bright and colorful garnishes.
After all, we eat with our eyes first!
Today, I’m sharing how to make the best avocado toast with tips and tricks to make it perfect, along with six awesome variations to make sure you never get bored.
The avocado toast recipes listed below are my all-time favorite ways to enjoy this classic brunch dish. I hope you love them all as much as I do. If I left out your favorite variation, let me know in the comments so I can try it out next time!
Avocado Toast: 6 Ways
In no particular order, I love them all:
1. Classic Avocado Toast
Starting off with a classic, there is something so completely delicious about a humble slice of whole-grain toast topped with thinly sliced avocados. All you have to do is top it off with flaky sea salt and then enjoy. This one is a classic for a reason!
2. Avocado Toast with Tomato & Balsamic Drizzle
The tomato balsamic avocado toast variation has serious Caprese salad vibes (minus the dairy) and I am so here for it. Start with your toast and sliced avocado base, then add a few slices of fresh vine tomatoes. Finish off the dish with a generous drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar or a balsamic glaze, then dig in. If you love balsamic the way I do, this one’s for you.
3. Everything Bagel Avocado Toast
Is anyone else obsessed with everything bagel seasoning? I don’t know what it is about this combination, but I’m 99% sure that this spice blend was born to be paired with avocado toast. By topping off a classic recipe with a few shakes of this mesmerizing blend of spices, you immediately step into savory breakfast heaven.
4. Superfood Avocado Toast with Radishes
If you’re a sucker for an Instagram-worthy dish, then you absolutely have to try this superfood avocado toast. This one utilizes nutrient-dense toppings that also happen to be insanely vibrant, making for a beyond stunning plate.
All you need are some sliced radishes (I like watermelon radishes), pea shoots, and a few fresh pea pods. Layer the toppings on top of the fresh avocado with a little sea salt and snap that perfect photo before you enjoy your new favorite breakfast.
5. Spicy Avocado Toast with Chili Flakes
This spicy avocado toast variation made with chili flakes is super easy and incredibly flavorful. Start with your classic avocado toast (bread, avocado, sea salt), then add a sprinkle of crushed chili flakes and a drizzle of olive oil.
Not only is this dish loaded with heart-healthy fats, but it offers just enough heat to spice things up without burning your mouth.
6. Grated-Egg Avocado Toast
This one is pretty much its own recipe so I wrote a whole post about it. Grating a hard-boiled egg onto avocado toast is pure genius. You have to try it sometime! I suggest making it exactly as I wrote it here then get ready to fall in love. It takes a bit more work so try it when you have a few extra minutes to whip up a great breakfast or lunch.
How to Slice an Avocado
If you want to make a perfect avocado toast, it all starts with how you slice the avocado. This tends to trip people up if they don’t know what they’re doing, but it’s super easy once you get the hang of it.
Start by using a sharp knife to carefully slice your avocado in half lengthwise, twist it, then scoop out the pit with a spoon.
Holding the avocado in the peel, make evenly thin slices of around ¼” thick without cutting all the way through the peel. Scoop out your slices with the spoon and spread them out onto your toast to cover. Voila!
Tips for the Best Avocado Toast
Here are some of my top tips to help you get the best results every time.
- Ripe avocados are essential: Obviously, the most important part of this dish is your avocado, so choosing the right one is key. Look for an avocado that is ripe without being overripe. It should be firm, yet give a little when squeezed. Avoid avocados that have bruising, dents, or cuts on the outside.
- Toast your bread: This should be a given considering it’s in the name, but make sure to toast your bread and do it well. The avocado is already super soft, so you want crunchy toasted bread that perfectly contrasts the creamy avocado on top. Soft bread would be an instant bummer and the quickest way to ruin the dish.
- Mash or slice: When making this dish, you have to decide whether you want mashed avocado or sliced avocado. This is a matter of preference, so you really can’t go wrong. When I’m serving a large group, I typically go for mashed avocado since it’s quicker to mash a bunch of avocados than to carefully slice them. On the flip side, nothing’s prettier than perfectly sliced avocado!
- Add fun toppings: I am a big advocate for making food pretty, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to learn that I am all about colorful toppings. Spruce up your toast with fresh herbs, microgreens, pickled red onions, hot sauce, and anything else you can think of that looks and tastes amazing. A squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice takes any avocado toast from good to great as well.
Avocado Toast Recipe: 6 Ways
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Slice, toast
- Cuisine: American
Slightly crunchy from the toasted bread and smooth and creamy from the avocado, avocado toast makes the perfect meal or snack any time of day. Here are 6 delicious variations of the beloved avocado toast. Let us know which one is your favorite in the comments below!
- 1 slice of whole-grain bread (or your favorite bread)
- ½ of a small ripe avocado, thinly sliced & scooped out of the peel (use ¼ of an avocado if it's large)
- a pinch of sea salt to taste
- Optional: Any of the toppings mentioned in this blog post (also in the notes below)
- Toast your bread in a toaster or toaster oven until lightly golden brown. (I use toaster setting 3.)
- Lay your avocado slices on top of your toast, then top with a pinch of sea salt. Alternatively, you can mash your avocado if you prefer that texture.
- Leave it plain or add any other toppings of your choice (noted below). Enjoy!
- Tomato Balsamic Avocado Toast: Add sliced fresh tomatoes & a drizzle of balsamic (and a few torn basil pieces if you happen to have any)
- Everything Bagel Avocado Toast: Sprinkle “Everything Bagel” seasoning on top, start with ½ teaspoon and add more as needed
- Superfood Avocado Toast with Radishes: Add thinly sliced radishes (or pretty pink watermelon radishes), pea shoots and/or fresh peas, and top with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if you have any
- Spicy Avocado Toast with Chili Flakes: Sprinkle your favorite chili flakes on top, and bonus if you happen to have some chili oil to drizzle
- Grated Egg Avocado Toast: Yes, grate an egg on top! Find that recipe here.
- Make it gluten-free by using your favorite gluten-free bread
Keywords: avocado toast recipe, avocado toast variations, healthy breakfast recipes, best avocado toast, how to make avocado toast
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most popular questions on the internet about this hearty breakfast dish:
What is the best bread for avocado toast?
When it comes to making avocado toast, you want to use sturdy bread that can hold all of your toppings without falling apart or getting soggy. Some of the most common choices include ciabatta, sourdough, and thick-sliced whole grain bread. I always say "you do you, boo," so use whatever bread you like the most.
Is avocado toast good for weight loss?
Yes! Avocados are packed with healthy fats and fiber to keep you feeling satisfied for hours.
As long as you opt for whole-grain bread and incorporate any of the healthy toast toppings mentioned in this blog post, this is a perfectly healthy meal for anyone following a healthy diet focused on weight loss or maintenance.
What should I serve with this dish?
This savory breakfast is loaded with nutrients, fiber, and healthy fats. I typically enjoy it on its own, because it’s pretty satisfying without the need for anything extra.
However, I love pairing it with a refreshing juice if I’m looking for something sweet (and nutrient-dense!) on the side. Some of my favorites include this delicious Green Juice recipe and this Pineapple Spinach Smoothie.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas You’ll Love
If you liked this blog post on avocado toast, you’ll love these recipes:
Leave a Reply