Healthy hot chocolate is here, and I think it’s even better than the classic.
Whoever said hot chocolate couldn’t be both indulgent AND healthy clearly never met this version.
With the weather cooling down, hot chocolate season is right around the corner. As delicious as regular hot chocolate maybe, it’s typically filled with dairy, processed white sugar, and other artificial preservatives and additives. No thank you!
My homemade version is made with all-natural ingredients, natural sweetener, and is dairy-free, too. You can choose the type of nut milk (or oat milk) you use to create the best hot chocolate for you.
Healthy Hot Chocolate Ingredients:
- Unsweetened almond milk (or any unsweetened dairy-free milk of choice, like oat milk, soy milk or coconut milk)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (or cacao powder, which is raw chocolate powder)
- Honey or maple syrup to sweeten it up (use a natural sweetener so you can control the quality and amount of sugar)
- Vanilla extract to give it a rich, gourmet flavor
It’s absolutely wonderful as is, but to make it even more special, you can add a big dollop of coconut whipped cream on top! Homemade coconut whipped cream is dairy-free/vegan and super easy to make, see my recipe and video tutorial for coconut whipped cream here.
If you want to get really fancy, sprinkle some cinnamon or dark chocolate shavings on top of the coconut whipped cream. Yum!
I sip healthy hot chocolate often in the cooler months for a warm and healthy treat. Not only does it taste great, but it makes me feel great too. You can customize this recipe depending on what you have and which ingredients make your body feel the best. I usually use unsweetened almond milk, but I also love to switch up the flavors with oat milk or coconut milk.
More Healthy Hot Drinks You’ll Love:
- Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Latte (aka Golden Milk Recipe)
- Anti-Inflammatory Collagen Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Homemade Chai Tea Latte
This healthy hot chocolate recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. It also happens to be one of the most popular healthy hot chocolate recipes on Google Search. If you make it and love it, please leave a star rating in the comments below to help other readers in our community. (Thank you!)
- 2 ½ cups (20 ounces) unsweetened almond milk (OR unsweetened soy milk, oat milk, any other unsweetened nut milk or unsweetened coconut milk)
- 2 ½ tablespoons organic unsweetened cocoa powder (OR raw cacao powder)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup (plus more to taste if needed)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Warm the almond milk on the stove over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Simmer about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine (1-2 minutes).
- Heat another 1-2 minutes and serve immediately.
- Optional: add a small dash of cinnamon on top and serve.
As written this recipe makes about two servings, but it’s easily doubled or tripled.
Keywords: Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipe, Healthy Hot Chocolate, Hot Chocolate Recipe