To juice or not to juice, that is the question.
I say juice – mostly because when I consistency drink freshly juiced green veggies I have more energy, my skin is more clear, and I just feel better all around.
Here are just a few green juice benefits:
- Fresh green juice reduces inflammation in your body, and according to Christine Lydon, MD, of Yale Medical School “inflammatory processes lie at the root of virtually every chronic disease process known to modern man – from obesity and diabetes to heart disease and cancer.” Yuck! Inflammation = bad. Anti-inflammatory green juice = good.
- The enzymes in fresh green juice improve your digestive heath, and most health experts believe at least 80% of your immune system lives in your digesting system. Again, drink up.
- Green Juice drenches your body in plant nutrients and chlorophyl (aka liquid sunshine.) Chlorophyl strengthens your immune system, helps control inflammation, increases red blood cell production, and helps enhance your cells’ ability to carry oxygen.
The ingredients in this juice have excellent healing and detoxifying properties. It’s a great way to start your day. Feel free to add any other fresh veggies you have in the house; a good rule of thumb is at least three veggies to every piece of fruit to keep the sugar down and your blood sugar balanced.
My Favorite Green Juice Recipe
Prep Time: Less than 10 minutes
Total Time: Less than 10 minutes
- 2 large organic cucumbers
- 3 ribs organic celery
- 1 large broccoli stem (cut off all florets and reserve them for another recipe)
- 2-3 leaves green kale
- 1 organic lemon, half peeled with the white part left on
- 1 to 2 organic apples or pears
- 1 to 2 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled
Recipe: Wash all produce well and push each whole piece through your juicer, cutting it in half if necessary to fit through the top of the juicer. Add a few ice cubes if you want your juice cold, and drink it right away as the nutrients will begin to degrade once exposed to oxygen.
Tip: if you’re new to juicing, skip the kale for a while. It’s so good for you but is a very strong flavor. Ease into juicing with milder greens and as you grow to love it add the kale and other strong greens.
For inquiring minds, I use the Breville Juice Fountain™ Multi-Speed and love it.