I’m in LOVE with this high-fiber smoothie recipe.
Getting enough fiber is essential to maintaining good health and maintaining your ideal weight, but the reality is that most people don’t even come close to getting enough.
According to The Institute of Medicine, women need at least 25 grams of fiber each day, and men need at least 38 grams. Those are the minimum recommendations, and in my research as a health coach, women should aim for at least 40 grams (up to 60) and men at least 50 grams, especially if you are trying to lose weight.
Here’s the bad news: most people get only 10-15 grams per day, or even less.
Here’s the good news: A psyllium husk fiber supplement is an easy and healthy way to up your fiber intake.
My Purple Magic High-Fiber Smoothie contains 28 grams of fiber!
It’s also delicious and a joy to drink. I recommend drinking this for breakfast within an hour of rising to set you up perfectly for the day. I take my supplements with it (multivitamin, omega-3, vitamin D and probiotic) and am good to go until lunchtime.
Along with the fiber, the combo of protein, omega-3 fats and healthy carbs will help stabilize your blood sugar and keep your belly full and your mind full of energy.Print
- 16 ounces filtered water
- 1 serving vegan vanilla protein powder (I use this one)
- 1 heaping tablespoon psyllium husk fiber supplement (I use this one)
- 1/2 small frozen banana
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 heaping tablespoon chia seeds
- a few ice cubes
- Method: Blend in a high-speed blender until smooth. Stir in your favorite probiotic (if using) after blending and enjoy. A handful of raw organic spinach is also wonderful in this smoothie, you just won’t get that pretty purple color.