If you love the combo of chocolate and peanut butter, you’re going to love this healthy high-fiber smoothie!
This smoothie recipe is:
Healthy, Vegan, Gluten-Free,
Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, High-Fiber
Simple-to-Make & Delicious
My Chocolate Peanut Butter High-Fiber Smoothie is decadent but healthy — it’s been my go-to lunch for the last few weeks. It’s not overly sweet, fills you up, and gives you extra energy for the day. Drinking it over time can also help flatten your belly.
The secret ingredient? Psyllium husk fiber.
Psyllium husk comes from the small seeds of the plantago ovata plant, a species of plantain. It’s remarkably high in soluble fiber, which makes it thicken and gel fairly quick when mixed with water.
From a nutrition perspective, psyllium husk is an excellent fiber supplement and is also considered a very mild laxative because of its high soluble fiber content.
From a culinary perspective, it can be used as a thickening agent and can be useful in baked goods in small amounts.
Benefits of Psyllium Husk Fiber
- non-caloric (very low in calories due to the fact that it’s almost all fiber that passes through you)
- naturally gluten-free and grain-free as it comes from a seed
- can aid weight loss and weight maintenance
- helps debloat your midsection
- aids in keeping your gut microbiome healthy
- increases regularity
Psyllium husk is inexpensive and pretty easy to find at most natural grocery stores. It’s a great addition to any healthy eating plan. Keep in mind it thickens and gels within about 10 minutes, so when using it in a smoothie, drink your smoothie right away. If you want a thicker pudding-like texture, let your blended smoothie sit in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes before eating.
Chocolate Peanut Butter High-Fiber Smoothie
- 12-16 ounces of filtered water (about 2 cups)
- 1 frozen banana^
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao^^
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened organic peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (local if possible)
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts)
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk fiber^^^
- a few drops of high-quality vanilla extract
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Optional: 1 serving of chocolate or vanilla high-quality protein powder for extra protein
- Blend all ingredients on high in a high-speed blender. Drink right away, or let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thicken if you want to eat it with a spoon.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top with hemp seeds for a pretty garnish.
^^ Cacao is raw chocolate powder and has an earthy flavor. If desired, you can substitute unsweetened vegan cocoa powder. But give cacao a try! It's full of nutrition and healing properties.
^^^ Look for psyllium husk fiber at your natural grocery store. It's inexpensive and fantastic to boost your fiber intake. It's almost pure fiber, so start with 2 teaspoons if you've never had it before. Work up to 1 tablespoon per day, then up to two tablespoons per day as desired. It thickens as it sits, so drink your smoothie right away, or set it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to turn into a pudding-like texture.
Substitute almond butter for the peanut butter if you avoid peanuts. Conventional peanuts are stored in large drums that are extra susceptible to mold, so always buy organic peanut butter and choose one that has zero added sugars for health.