These no-bake peanut butter oat energy bites are made with just 4 ingredients for a quick, easy, and delicious treat. You’re going to love snacking on these bites while enjoying a hearty dose of protein and fiber!
I have always been impressed by the versatility of rolled oats. Not only are they incredibly affordable, but oats can be enjoyed raw or cooked in tons of tasty ways.
That brings us to these 4-ingredient peanut butter oat energy bites. These delicious treats are made simply with rolled oats, creamy peanut butter, honey or maple syrup, and dark chocolate chips.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the ingredients you’ll need to make these energy bites.
- Rolled Oats: The best oats for energy bites are rolled oats (old-fashioned oats), so make sure to avoid using steel-cut oats or instant oats in this recipe. If you want to make your energy bites gluten-free, make sure to use oats that are certified gluten-free.
- Peanut Butter: Make sure to use a creamy, natural peanut butter—peanuts should be the only ingredient on the label.
- Raw Honey: I love sweetening these bites with honey, but you can also use maple syrup if you prefer.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: Let’s be real, chocolate makes everything better. The rich flavor of dark chocolate pairs beautifully with peanut butter!
Now, I don’t know about you, but I always have these ingredients lying around in the pantry.
A no-bake recipe I don’t even need to shop for?! It doesn’t get much better than that.
If you have these basic pantry ingredients and a few minutes to spare, then you can make these crave-worthy peanut butter oat energy bites.
They’re great for bringing along to work, on hikes, on road trips, or munching on between meals. I know you’re going to love these energy bites as much as I do, so let’s dive right in!
How to Make Peanut Butter Oat Energy Bites
With just 4 ingredients and only a few minutes of prep work, this healthy snack recipe truly couldn’t be any easier. All you have to do is follow the simple steps below.
Be sure to check out the recipe card down below for exact measurements.
Step 1: Combine the Ingredients
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
Step 2: Chill the Mixture
Place the bowl in the fridge and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. This ensures that the mixture won’t be too sticky to roll into balls.
Step 3: Assemble Energy Bites
Use a spoon to divide the mixture into 12 evenly-sized bites. Then, use your hands to roll each bite into a round ball. Enjoy now or store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Here are some of my top tips and tricks to help you make the best peanut butter oat energy bites:
- Make sure to chill the mixture in the fridge for 15-30 minutes before rolling them to make them easier to form into balls. Lightly wetting your hands with water also helps to prevent the mixture from sticking to you.
- If the mixture seems too dry for your liking, try adding a splash of water. Alternatively, you could add a little more peanut butter or honey.
- Want to add something else into the mix? Optional mix-ins include chia seeds, hemp seeds, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, vanilla extract, shredded coconut, and chopped almonds or pecans.
- If you don’t want to roll your mixture into energy balls, spread it onto a parchment paper-lined baking dish instead and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then, cut into delicious no-bake energy squares.
Energy Bite Variations
Looking for some fun and tasty ways to switch things up? This energy bites recipe is super versatile and can be customized to suit your flavor preferences.
Here are some fun variations to try next time:
- Energy Bites with Protein Powder: For an extra dose of protein in every bite, add a scoop of your favorite chocolate, vanilla, or plain protein powder to the mixture before rolling into balls.
- Almond Butter Energy Bites: You can use any kind of nut butter you like to make this dish. If you don’t have peanut butter or want to try something else, almond butter, cashew butter, and sunflower seed butter would all work well.
- Vegan Energy Bites: Make these no-bake energy bites vegan by using your favorite vegan dark chocolate chips and swapping honey for maple syrup.
- Double Chocolate Energy Bites: Chocolate lovers, this one’s for you. For tons of chocolatey flavor, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the mixture. Taste before rolling into balls and add a little more honey if needed.
- M&M Energy Bites: If you’ve got youngsters at home, they’re going to love this variation. All you have to do is swap the chocolate chips for mini M&Ms.
- Cinnamon Roll Energy Bites: Replace the chocolate chips with chopped pecans, then add cinnamon and a dash of vanilla extract.
- Energy Bites with Cranberries: For an added touch of sweetness, try adding dried cranberries to your energy bites.
How to Store
Looking for your next healthy meal prep snack recipe? You’re in luck.
These peanut butter energy bites are absolutely perfect for prepping ahead of time. Honestly, I almost think they taste even better the next day.
To store leftover energy bites, transfer them to an airtight container or storage bag and keep them in the fridge for up to a week. To store for longer, you can freeze energy bites for up to a month.
If you choose to freeze this dish, I would recommend first spreading them out on a baking sheet and freezing them for 30 minutes. Then, transfer to your bag or container and store in the freezer. This is how I prevent my energy bites from sticking together!Print
These wholesome and delicious peanut butter oat energy bites are easy to make and perfect for snacking on the go. Toss a few into a bag and bring them with you to work, school, or on road trips!
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- 2/3 cup plain creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2–3 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (omit if your peanut butter contains salt)
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place the bowl in the fridge and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. This ensures that the mixture won’t be too sticky to roll into balls.
- Use a spoon to divide the mixture into 12 evenly-sized bites. Then, use your hands to roll each bite into a round ball. Enjoy now or store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: peanut butter oat energy bites, peanut butter energy bites, energy balls, energy bites recipe
Peanut Butter Oat Energy Bites FAQs
Here are the answers to some of the most common questions about energy bites:
Are energy bites good for you?
Yes! These 4-ingredient peanut butter oat energy bites are packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
By making them at home instead of buying a store-bought version, we can control exactly what goes into them.
This recipe uses wholesome, natural ingredients to make a super healthy snack.
Why are they called energy balls?
Energy balls or energy bites got their name from the fact that they’re loaded with simple ingredients that are known to provide our bodies with energy.
The protein and fiber in peanut butter and rolled oats are perfect for a quick burst of energy. If you’re on the hunt for a pre-workout or post-workout snack, this would work great!
How do you serve energy bites?
You can store these bites in the fridge for a quick grab-and-go snack when you’re headed out the door or serve them on the snack table at your next social gathering. Simply serve them on a platter or tray and include toothpicks for easy grabbing.
More Healthy Snack Recipes You’ll Love
If you liked these peanut butter oat energy bites, try these healthy snacks next: