- 12–16 ounces of filtered water (about 2 cups)
- 1 frozen banana^
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao^^
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened organic peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (local if possible)
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts)
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk fiber^^^
- a few drops of high-quality vanilla extract
- 2–3 ice cubes
- Optional: 1 serving of chocolate or vanilla high-quality protein powder for extra protein
- Blend all ingredients on high in a high-speed blender. Drink right away, or let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thicken if you want to eat it with a spoon.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top with hemp seeds for a pretty garnish.
^ Peel your bananas before you freeze them. Keep in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for a quick addition to smoothies.
^^ Cacao is raw chocolate powder and has an earthy flavor. If desired, you can substitute unsweetened vegan cocoa powder. But give cacao a try! It’s full of nutrition and healing properties.
^^^ Look for psyllium husk fiber at your natural grocery store. It’s inexpensive and fantastic to boost your fiber intake. It’s almost pure fiber, so start with 2 teaspoons if you’ve never had it before. Work up to 1 tablespoon per day, then up to two tablespoons per day as desired. It thickens as it sits, so drink your smoothie right away, or set it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to turn into a pudding-like texture.
Substitute almond butter for the peanut butter if you avoid peanuts. Conventional peanuts are stored in large drums that are extra susceptible to mold, so always buy organic peanut butter and choose one that has zero added sugars for health.