Happy Halloween! My goodness, do I have a treat for you—an Activated Charcoal Smoothie just in time for Halloween.
Um, yes, please! Aside from being the ultimate detoxifier, this spooky-looking smoothie totally matches the spirit of the holiday.
Made with a delicious combo of fresh fruits, spinach, and activated charcoal powder, this Activated Charcoal Smoothie recipe is trendy, nourishing, and honestly fun to eat. I mean come on, look at that color and tell me you aren't intrigued!
This healthy smoothie is meant to detox the body from any chemicals, toxins, and unwanted substances, while also supporting the immune system.
As we enter a weekend known to be one of the most popular times of the year for sugary sweets, I knew it was the perfect time to share this detoxifying (and delicious!) charcoal smoothie recipe.
Now, don’t let the dark color fool you. This smoothie is full of bright and flavorful fruits like bananas, apples, and blueberries—all of which specifically target and strengthen the immune system.
By pairing a bunch of super sweet fruit with nutrient-rich milk and detoxifying activated charcoal, this smoothie is the ultimate toxin-fighting immune booster.
It’s the perfect breakfast or snack to whip up after a weekend of debauchery, aka Halloween!
The flavor alone is enough to make you fall head over heels, but paired with the astonishing health benefits of activated charcoal? This Activated Charcoal Smoothie is unstoppable.
Have fun, be safe, and enjoy yourself this Halloween!
Health Benefits of Activated Charcoal
If you’re not already on the bandwagon, then you might be wondering what's so special about activated charcoal.
Activated charcoal is the ultimate detoxifier. It binds to any toxins or chemicals in order to prevent our bodies from absorbing them. Because the substance is so porous, lots of different substances are able to bind to it.
Then, whenever the activated charcoal is flushed from our system, all of the toxins and chemicals go with it.
Medical professionals use activated charcoal for both internal and topical use, and it is also used in water filtration systems around the world to cleanse and purify the water.
As a fantastic detoxifier, activated charcoal is also a wonderful digestion aid. It's commonly used in beauty products to improve the skin, as well as whitening products meant to whiten teeth.
Basically, activated charcoal is the ultimate secret weapon when it comes to detoxification. That's why I love drinking this Activated Charcoal Smoothie after Halloween to help me flush out all of that candy!
To bring this delicious smoothie to life, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Activated charcoal. You can find activated charcoal in the vitamin section of most grocery stores. It is an amazing detoxifier that is great at ridding our bodies of harmful toxins and chemicals, but remember that a little bit goes a long way.
- Banana. Make sure your banana is nice and frozen to give this smoothie its creamy consistency. Not only that, but bananas also help boost your digestive and heart health.
- Apple. Apples are loaded with antioxidants, and their soluble fiber content promotes a happy gut. To help them blend best into this smoothie, I recommend cutting your apple into chunks.
- Blueberries. These are yet another immunity boosting fruit that nicely compliment the activated charcoal’s detoxifying properties.
- Spinach. Now, spinach is regarded as a superfood for a reason. Alongside its immunity-boosting properties, it also defends your body from toxins and other bodily pollutants. The fresh fruit masks its taste in this smoothie, so no need to worry if you aren’t normally a fan.
- Milk. Feel free to use any kind of milk you like. Whether it's almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or cow's milk—anything will work.
How to Make an Activated Charcoal Smoothie
All this delicious smoothie needs is a blender, or a food processor, and 5 minutes of your time. Then, it comes together in just two simple steps:
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until the batter is smooth.
Seriously, that’s it!
Tips For Making the Best Charcoal Smoothies
Here are a few quick tips and tricks for making a truly mouthwatering smoothie:
Order matters. Want a smoothie with the perfect consistency? To make the creamiest smoothie, first blend your greens in with the liquid (aka the spinach and milk) to form the base. Then, blend the fruit and add-ins afterwards.
Freeze your fruit. Frozen fruit gives smoothies that thick, creamy texture, so try to use as much as you can. If you have enough frozen fruit, you can nix the additional ice, and are left with even more fruity flavor.
Add some protein. To boost the nutritional profile of your smoothie — and make it extra satisfying — add some protein to the mix. Options include protein powder, Greek yogurt, and nut butter.
Add avocado. Avocados are the secret ingredient of many creamy and nourishing smoothies. Frozen, fresh avocados are a delicious, creamy swap for some of those sugar-rich fruits, and they will help maintain the smoothie’s texture.
Avocados are also loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and — unlike most fruits — contain zero grams of naturally occurring sugar per serving.
Stick to the basics. Although you’re free to mix and match your smoothies to suit your own preferences, try to follow a basic pattern of a liquid base, fruit, healthy fats, superfood powders, and protein.
Invest in a good blender. Your smoothie is only as good as the blender you use to prepare it. To avoid a bunch of annoying chunks, invest in a high-quality blender that is able to cut through tough greens and frozen fruit.
Smoothie Topping Ideas
For a sit-down meal, you can easily turn this Activated Charcoal Smoothie into a smoothie bowl. Just use it as your base, and then you jazz it up with these toppings:
- Add about 2-3 tablespoons of fruit. Fresh or frozen fruit works great, and a good rule of thumb is to start with the fruit that you have already blended into the base. For this charcoal smoothie bowl, try topping it with sliced bananas or blueberries. Or, you could add some dried superfood berries – like goji berries or mulberries — for a bit of flare.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of something crunchy. Choose your favorite superfoods to add some crunch and texture to your smoothie bowls. Homemade granola, raw nuts, or flaked coconut all make for delicious, healthy toppings.
- Add some nut butter. To add extra protein, fiber, and healthy fats, try adding a drizzle or dollop of your favorite nut butter. My personal go-to is usually almond butter, but peanut butter and sunflower seed butter work well too.
How to Store This Dish
Although fresh is always best, Activated Charcoal Smoothies are a breeze to store. The key is preventing oxidation, so you’ll need to find a proper container that doesn’t expose your smoothie to air.
Use a glass container with an airtight lid (a mason jar will work great), then pour in your smoothie until it reaches the top. That way, there won’t be any air left inside to oxidize the smoothie’s nutrients.
Seal your container and pop it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. If you need to store it for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
A bonus tip is to add some lemon juice to your smoothie, as the Vitamin C will further help to prevent oxidation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about activated charcoal smoothies:
Can I drink this smoothie every day?
Because activated charcoal is such a strong detoxifier, it can actually upset our body’s absorption process if ingested too often. If you're trying to detox, you can enjoy this smoothie a few days in a row. However, I don't recommend making these every day.
You should also wait 90 minutes before or after eating nutrient-dense meals, taking prescription medicines, or taking vitamins.
What does activated charcoal taste like?
Activated charcoal actually doesn’t have much of a flavor, which makes it easy to blend into any smoothie you want. Try blending some into this Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie with Psyllium Husk or this Vanilla Almond Protein Smoothie if you want to switch it up.
Is there anything I shouldn’t have this smoothie with?
Activated charcoal might prevent the absorption of certain drugs and/or vitamins, so be sure to double check with your doctor if you are actively taking any prescription medications.
Also, try not to drink this smoothie within 90 minutes of having a nutritious meal, as the activated charcoal may prevent the absorption of nutrients.
How long does it take for activated charcoal to kick in?
Activated charcoal will begin its incredible detoxifying duties generally within 30 to 60 minutes after its ingestion. So drink up!
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
If you liked this Activated Charcoal Smoothie, try these next!
- Pineapple Spinach Smoothie Recipe (Tastes Like Candy!)
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: Easy Recipe + 6 Variations
- The Ultimate Beauty Smoothie Recipe
- Blueberry Collagen Probiotic Smoothie Recipe
- Strawberry, Banana & Coconut Oil Smoothie
Just in time for Halloween, this delicious Activated Charcoal Smoothie is the ultimate detox tool. Enjoy it after a weekend of trick or treating to flush out the toxins and support your immune system!
- 1 banana, frozen
- ½ apple, cut in chunks
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen
- ½ cup spinach
- 1 ½ cup milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon activated charcoal powder
- Add your ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth. Enjoy!