I make this easy cucumber salad just about every week!
Cucumber salad is a great way to whip up a quick and healthy side dish that doesn’t require a lot of work. It’s fresh, satisfying, and full of fiber and plant-based nutrients.
This cucumber salad is especially good with my 30-Minute Weeknight Bolognese, whether you have it on fresh pasta or spaghetti squash noodles. It adds a fresh crunch that complements the meal perfectly.
- Cucumbers: Obviously, you need cucumbers. I like English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers for texture, but any cucumber works. Fresh cucumbers from your garden are also great here.
- Red onion: I love very thinly sliced red onion in cucumber salad. Green onions are also great here (see my Sesame Cucumber Salad.)
- Dill: Fresh dill is absolutely wonderful here. Chives are also nice if you don’t have dill. You can also use 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill if you don’t have fresh dill.
- Dressing: I make my own dressing because it’s way healthier and usually tastes better than anything store-bought. You simple need some extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar (white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or any other vinegar you like also works here), fresh garlic and salt and pepper.
- See the recipe card below for the full recipe
Saving on Ingredients
I buy all of my dried goods and pantry ingredients like extra virgin olive oil and quinoa on Thrive Market. They always have the highest quality foods at the best prices. Here’s my partner code for 40% off your first order if you’re interested.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
This salad is one of the easiest things you can make in your kitchen.
- In the bowl you plan to serve in, whisk the dressing together
- Thinly slice the cucumbers and red onion. I like to do it on a handheld mandoline, nut you can also do it with a sharp knife. Add them to the bowl.
- Add your freshly chopped dill and give it all a toss. That’s it!
- I think cucumber salad is best if it’s had 15-30 minutes to sit the fridge, but you can eat it right away if you can’t wait.
- See the recipe card below for full details
- Try different varieties of cucumbers and use the ones you like best
- Use any variety of onions you like, or leave them out
- Use any fresh herbs you like in this salad. Tarragon is also a nice addition.
- Try my Sesame Cucumber Salad with Avocado for a fun spin on a cucumber salad recipe
- This Mango Avocado Cucumber Salad is also a fun way to use cucumbers as a main ingredient in a healthy delicious salad
This easy cucumber salad comes together quickly and makes a great snack or side for just about any meal.
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
Cucumber Salad Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or vinegar of your choice, more or less to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, add the vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Slowly stream in the olive oil and whisk vigorously to create an emulsified dressing. (Alternatively, add the dressing ingredients to a mason jar, cover, and shake vigorously then pour over the salad.)
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice cucumbers very thinly into the large bowl. Add the dill and red onions. It
- Cucumber salad is good right away, and gets even better if it sits for 30 minutes in the fridge
- To store, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Keywords: Cucumber Salad