Want to make fantastic food at home? You need these two books.
Why these two?
Cooking is both a science and an art. By understanding the foundational knowledge these books offer, anyone can elevate their cooking from just-ok recipes to restaurant-worthing dishes at home. You’ll be equipped not just to cook, but to understand and appreciate the deeper intricacies of the culinary world.
If you’re looking to enhance your home cooking skills and truly understand the art of making great food, then make sure you have these two books at home.
1. “The Joy of Cooking”
This is my go-to when I want to find information to write a recipe. It’s an oldie-but-goodie and has been updated many times over the years.
Here are some of the high points you should know:
- Historical Significance: An enduring classic, “The Joy of Cooking” offers a comprehensive collection of recipes, serving as a culinary reference for generations.
- Comprehensive Guide: This book doesn’t merely list recipes. It educates readers on various cooking techniques, ensuring a deeper understanding of the process.
- Diverse Range: Its extensive selection caters to a wide array of dishes, ensuring that readers have a broad spectrum of culinary options at their fingertips.
- Find it here >
2. “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat” by Samin Nosrat
Every now and again a book comes along and changes everything. This is one of those books. In one shot, chef Samin Nosrat succinctly teaches you how to make just about any dish turns out.
Whether you’re an expert chef or a culinary amateur, this book will inspire, educate, and most importantly, empower you to create magic with the simplest of ingredients.
High points about the book:
- Fundamental Principles: The book breaks down cooking into four key elements, each critical for creating a balanced and flavorful dish. Understanding these principles equips readers to cook with intuition and confidence.
- Global Insights: Samin Nosrat introduces readers to various global culinary traditions, showcasing how different cultures incorporate the four core elements in their cuisines.
- Beyond Recipes: Instead of relying solely on strict measurements, this book emphasizes the importance of understanding and feeling the cooking process, enabling more flexibility and creativity in the kitchen.
- Find it here >
Remember, every great chef started as a beginner. With these books by your side, you’ll have all the secrets to cook fantastic dishes and impress everyone with your skills.