If you're looking for a quick, simple, and healthy family breakfast, then look for further than a big meal prep portion of overnight oats!
Meal Prep Overnight Oats is the ultimate healthy breakfast for a crowd. It's so simple, inexpensive, and healthy that it's almost too good to be true.
What are overnight oats? An overnight oats recipe is a quick and easy way to prepare a healthy delicious breakfast. All you have to do is soak whole rolled oats with a few nuts, seeds, and/or spices in your choice of milk or water overnight for a wonderful meal that can be eaten the next day and for up to four days after it's made.
Are overnight oats healthy? Yes, overnight oats can be very healthy when made with healthy ingredients like whole rolled oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, and berries, and when excessive amount so sugar are left out.
Meal Prep Overnight Oats Containers
You have two options for containers:
- One large bowl or container with a lid
- Individual containers, such as mason jars
To be honest, I often find using a large bowl or Dutch oven better even when I want individual servings for the week. The photographs on this page have the meal prep overnight oats in a large bowl with a lid that I store in the refrigerator.
Using individual containers or mason jars makes this recipe more portable, so if you're taking it with you, then you can portion it out as I do here.
How to Make Meal Prep Overnight Oats
- Step 1: Grab a large container. I like to use a Dutch oven because it looks great from fridge to table, but you can use any baking dish or bowl for this. Overnight oats scale easily, whether you want individual containers or a big bowl like the photos on this page.
- Step 2: Add your dry ingredients, cover with milk of your choice (I use oat milk or almond milk), top with fresh or frozen berries, put a lid on it, and keep it in the fridge overnight. The milk should just cover the oats.
- Step 3: In the morning, scoop out your desired serving and top with fresh berries and/or chopped apple. It's that easy!
Not only is this great for a gathering, but it makes a fantastic make-ahead meal for a quick breakfast on weekday mornings. Make it on Sunday for breakfast all week long.
This meal prep overnight oats recipe is made extra healthy by adding chia and hemp seeds for extra fiber, omega-3 fats, and anti-inflammatory nutrients. Top it with nutrient-filled berries and apples, and you have a true superfood breakfast that requires less than 10 minutes of prep time.
You can make this to serve for a large family breakfast or at a brunch party. Or, prepare it on Sunday to eat all week long.
It's seriously one of the easiest delicious meal prep breakfasts you'll ever put together.
We like ours served chilled, right out of the refrigerator, but you can also warm it up in the oven for a more classic oatmeal breakfast.
If you're looking for single-serve overnight oats or more flavor ideas, check out these recipes:Print
Meal prep overnight oats make for a fantastic family-style meal or individual servings of breakfast all week long. Simply mix it all together and refrigerate it overnight for a delicious treat in the morning.
- 4 cups whole rolled oats, preferably organic
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts); substitute with more chia seeds or flax seeds if desired
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, or non-dairy milk of your choice*
- ⅛ teaspoon (a few drops) of vanilla extract, OR, use vanilla almond milk
- About 2 cups of berries (fresh or frozen) and/or chopped apples
- Optional: a drizzle of honey or real maple syrup for flavor, nutrients, and natural sweetness
- Optional: ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes to garnish
- Combine all ingredients 2-quart dish or pan. You can layer the ingredients then pour the milk over the top, or mix the dry ingredients and fruit then add the milk. I sprinkle the vanilla into the oats. Both methods give you the same results.
- Cover with a lid and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled right out of the refrigerator, or warm through in a 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes if desired. Will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for up to four days.
- *We prefer almond milk or oat milk, but any type of non-dairy or regular milk works. Water even works in a pinch, the result will just be a little less creamy.
- If you prefer your overnight oats served warm, prepare the recipe according to the instructions in an oven-safe dish. In the morning or before serving, preheat the oven to 300F. Add an additional ¼ cup of milk to the dish, then heat in the oven for 20-30 minutes until warmed through.
- Raw honey is technically not vegan, so if you prefer a vegan dish use maple syrup
- Oats are gluten-free by nature, but often stored with gluten-containing grains so trace amounts of gluten can be present. Look for certified gluten-free oats if gluten is a concern.
Keywords: Meal prep overnight oats, overnight oats, meal prep, healthy breakfast