- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (I use Native Forest), separated
- 2 grams lactobacillus-containing probiotic powder (I use this one)
- Start with a clean pint-sized jar.
- Scoop out the coconut creme that’s separated in the can. To do that, flip the cans of coconut milk over from how they were stored—usually the coconut water and coconut cream will separate with the cream on top. Open the cans and pour off the coconut water. Reserve the coconut water for a smoothie or other recipe.
- Combine the coconut cream and probiotic powder in the clean, pint-size mason jar.
- Place in the oven, with the oven OFF, but the oven light on for 24 to 36 hours. The probiotics will ferment the coconut cream and turn it into yogurt in the slightly warmed oven. Again, the oven should remain off but the oven light should be on.
- After 24 to 36 hours, remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes at room temperature to cool off before you taste it.
- Taste for tanginess; tanginess indicates that it fermented properly. It will be a little thin and runny because it is warm but will set and thicken as it cools. It will become even thicker in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate after it comes to room temperature (about an hour after you remove from the oven). Let chill in the refrigerator at least two hours before serving to allow it to thicken. It will keep 1 to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
1. For the coconut cream:
-Use full-fat coconut milk in a can (preferably BPA-free)
-To ensure separation of the coconut water and cream in the can you can refrigerate the can overnight
-If your can of coconut milk doesn’t separate you can use one whole can of coconut milk instead of the cream from two cans—your yogurt just won’t be as thick.
2. Make sure to use a probiotic powder that contains lactobacillus bacteria.
– *This recipe is vegan if your probiotic is dairy-free. Bacteria is technically alive but all foods, including fruits and vegetables, are full of bacteria—that’s the way nature intended it.3. Leave the oven OFF with the light on to slightly heat the oven.
-If your climate is extra cold (e.g. Montana in the middle of winter), preheat the oven for just 5-10 seconds to give it a slight lift of warm air, then turn it off and turn the light on.
Keywords: homemade coconut yogurt