This taco salad is so yummy it’s hard to believe it’s healthy!
I use my favorite Superfood Black Bean & Quinoa Salad as the “meat” for this healthy taco salad. It’s full of protein, good carbs, healthy fat and fiber, plus has amazing flavor. Feel free to dig in for seconds guilt-free.
One of the best things you can do when cooking at home is always prepare more of what you’re making for later in the week. This healthy taco salad is a great way to use extra black bean and quinoa salad from earlier in the week. If you prepare it fresh for this recipe, make extra for a healthy lunch or side dish later in the week.
As always, use organic ingredients when you can. It’s important to use only organic corn tortilla chips – almost all of the corn in the US is genetically modified and the small extra cost of organic tortilla chips is well worth it for your health.
Liz’s Healthy Taco Salad Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: varies
For the dressing (makes about 2-3 servings)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
For the salad
- romaine lettuce, chopped (hearts of romaine are particularly good here)
- Black Bean & Quinoa Salad
- avocado, chopped
- grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- organic tortilla chips
- Prepare the Black Bean & Quinoa Salad (hopefully you made it earlier in the week)
- Wash and prepare all produce
- Prepare the dressing. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. The dressing is optional – the black bean & quinoa salad is already dressed. Add the dressing depending on how you like the flavor of your salad – we do this about half the time we make it.
- To prepare each salad, place the following on the plate in this order:
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup black bean and quinoa salad
- Flesh of 1/4 of an avocado, chopped
- 8-10 cherry tomato halves
- 5-8 organic tortilla chips, crushed with your hands (we like the extra thin kind)
- 1-2 tablespoons of dressing, if using
Grilled or shredded chicken would also be a great addition here if you’re a meat eater. We also add a tablespoon of fresh salsa from time to time if we have it on hand (but it’s delicious with or without it).
Did you try this recipe?!
Let me know how it turned out in the comments below.