1. They’re an excellent source of protein – over 20% in fact.
Chia seeds are a complete plant-based protein with all 8 essential amino acids to boot.
2. They’re very high in soluble fiber,
which will detox your digestive system, flatten your belly, and keep you regular.
3. They’re an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
Per ounce, chia has 8 times more omega 3 fats than salmon.
4. They’re very high in antioxidants – even higher than blueberries. In fact, chia has…
- 3x more antioxidants than blueberries
- 5x more calcium than milk
- 2x the potassium of a banana
- 7x more vitamin C than oranges
- 6x more fiber than wheat bran
5. They’re an all natural, nutrient-dense thickening agent.
Use it in soups, stews, eggs, dips, yogurt, smoothies and baked foods to thicken your dish and add a supercharge of nutrients. It’s also mostly flavorless so you might not even know it’s there.
How do you like your chia? Leave it in the comments below to share with other readers.
P.S. Once you open a bag of chia seeds, keep it in the refrigerator to keep it as fresh as possible; the oil in the seeds can spoil once the bag is opened.
Happy Chia Eating!