A hot homemade chai tea latte really hits the spot in cooler months (and it's fantastic over ice in the warmer months!)
To celebrate the warm, earthy, yumminess of Fall, here's my homemade chai tea latte recipe. It's also great on its own without the tea to make a warming caffeine-free drink.
This homemade chai tea latte tastes just like the one at Starbucks, but it's WAY healthier. Plus, you get to control the amount of sugar in it and the quality of ingredients.
Each of these spices is packed full of nutrition and anti-inflammatory properties, so you can drink up guilt-free.Print
This comforting chai tea recipe is full of antioxidants and good-for-you nutrition. Play with the amounts of each ingredient to make it your own.
- 12 ounces (1¼ cup) unsweetened almond or soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) filtered water
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (or 8 green cardamom pods, cracked open)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 star anise cloves, OR 1 large pinch of whole fennel seeds for a slightly anise flavor
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (not traditional, but lovely)
- 1 tea bag of black tea, OR, 1 tablespoon black tea leaves
Optional sweeteners (choose 1):
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, OR
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients except the black tea and sweetener in a small pot over medium heat and whisk to combine. Heat over medium-low heat 5-7 minutes until the flavors have come together.
- If using loose leaf tea, add it now and let it steep for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into 2 mugs.
- If using tea bags, first strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into 2 mugs. Add 1 teabag each to the two mugs and let steep for 5 minutes in the filtered chai mixture, then remove the tea bags.
- Serve immediately or allow to come to room temperature and store (covered) in the refrigerator up to 24 hours. Sweeten to taste.
To keep this caffeine-free, omit the tea bags. It won't technically be chai tea, but more like chai flavored almond milk (still delicious!)
Keywords: Chai Tea Latte Recipe