This comforting chai tea recipe is full of antioxidants and good-for-you nutrition. Play with the amounts of each ingredient to make it your own.
- 12 ounces (1¼ cup) unsweetened almond or soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) filtered water
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (or 8 green cardamom pods, cracked open)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 star anise cloves, OR 1 large pinch of whole fennel seeds for a slightly anise flavor
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (not traditional, but lovely)
- 1 tea bag of black tea, OR, 1 tablespoon black tea leaves
Optional sweeteners (choose 1):
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, OR
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients except the black tea and sweetener in a small pot over medium heat and whisk to combine. Heat over medium-low heat 5-7 minutes until the flavors have come together.
- If using loose leaf tea, add it now and let it steep for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into 2 mugs.
- If using tea bags, first strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into 2 mugs. Add 1 teabag each to the two mugs and let steep for 5 minutes in the filtered chai mixture, then remove the tea bags.
- Serve immediately or allow to come to room temperature and store (covered) in the refrigerator up to 24 hours. Sweeten to taste.
To keep this caffeine-free, omit the tea bags. It won’t technically be chai tea, but more like chai flavored almond milk (still delicious!)
Keywords: Chai Tea Latte Recipe