These slow cooker chicken tacos are insanely delicious and take less than 25 minutes of hands-on time to prepare. What’s not to love?!
This recipe is:
healthy, delicious, gluten-free,
dairy-free, whole30-approved, paleo, grain-free,
low-glycemic, and simple-to-prepare
For an easy healthy meal, it doesn’t get much better than these healthy chicken tacos simmered in the slow cooker in antioxidant-rich spices. Packed with protein and flavor, the health aspect of this dish goes even further by serving them in lettuce cups. Pile on any veggies you want, and don’t forget the avocado for an extra dose of healthy fats.
We love to double this recipe to have tacos on #TacoTuesday, then save the rest in the fridge for healthy taco salads on Thursday. It’s the prefect recipe to double for easy make ahead meals or to serve buffet-style at a party.
As always, read your ingredient labels and choose spices that don’t have any fillers, preservatives, or unhealthy ingredients. This recipes is gluten-free if you serve it in lettuce cups; that’s the way we prefer it.
This recipe is from Season 3 of my healthy cooking show Elizabeth Eats on FMTV. You can watch the full episode here if you’d like to see a full demonstration. I’m giving you the full recipe here to save and print. It will be a new family favorite!
- 1 cup purified water or chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons mild or medium chili powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (less if your chili powder contains salt)
- 4-5 spins of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, preferably organic (that's about 4-5 chicken breasts)
- 1-2 limes, juiced for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix the water (or stock), garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker (aka CrockPot).
- Pour liquid mixture over the chicken and place onion on top of breasts.
- Cook 2-3 hours on high, or 4-5 hours on low, until internal temperature of each breast is 165°F.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks. Squeeze lime juice over meat before serving.
- Serve in lettuce cups or your favorite healthy tortillas with fermented salsa or pico de gallo, shredded cabbage, avocado and/or cilantro.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight glass container up to three days in the refrigerator.
Butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves as the tortilla
Fresh pico de gallo, fresh salsa, or fermented salsa
Shredded purple cabbage
Fresh lime wedges
Cashew cream (as a sour cream replacement)