Cooking asparagus in an air fryer, which works like a mini convection oven, is a great way to lock in the same great flavor and texture you get by roasting asparagus in the oven. The quick cook time makes it ideal for a weeknight when you need to get dinner on the table fast.
If you love roasted asparagus, you're going to be a big fan of this recipe. I can’t wait to walk you through how to make asparagus, the crispy air fryer way.
You can make this air fryer asparagus recipe as an appetizer or the perfect side dish. I even serve this as a main dish during snack time if I’m craving a salty crunch.
If you want to cook your asparagus in the oven instead, check out my recipe on how to get perfect oven-roasted asparagus here.
Asparagus Nutrition Facts
Air fryer roasted asparagus has all the crunchiness of french fries, but with far better nutritional information and fewer carbohydrates. Easy air fryer asparagus is gluten-free and contains:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Fiber (which can lower bad cholesterol)
When you air fry asparagus, you get a unique crispy, tender texture with good nutrients. It will be hard to believe you’re eating low-carb veggies!
Air-Fryer Asparagus Ingredients
All you need to make this asparagus recipe is four simple ingredients. Here's what you'll need to make this healthy and delicious side dish.
Fresh Asparagus: When buying fresh asparagus, look for bright, firm stalks with tightly closed ends. I used thin green asparagus in this recipe. Thicker spears will work just as well, although you might have to increase the cooking time slightly. Also, I recommend buying organic or locally grown from a source known to use organic growing methods whenever possible.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: If you don’t have EVOO on hand, you can use your favorite cooking oil. Avocado oil or coconut oil would work well.
Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Salt helps the roasted asparagus flavor pop. And the freshly ground pepper provides seasoning.
How to Cook Asparagus in the Air Fryer
Ready to cook? Here's what to do to get the perfect air fryer asparagus!
- Trim the Asparagus: Snap or cut off the dry, woody ends of the asparagus spears. If you're using large asparagus spears, you may also peel off the tough skin on the lower portion of the stalks with a vegetable peeler. (Optional)
- Season the Asparagus: Toss the asparagus in olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper, and then add them to the air fryer basket.
- Cook the Asparagus in the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. And then roast the asparagus for about 7 minutes (you might need a bit more time for thicker spears).
- Serve the Asparagus: Transfer the asparagus to a serving platter and add additional seasonings like garlic powder, if using. Now, enjoy!
A Few More Recipe Tips
Here are a few more things to keep in mind when cooking your asparagus in the air fryer.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: To ensure even cooking, make sure to preheat your air fryer before you place asparagus inside.
- Storing Cooked Asparagus: Stored leftover asparagus in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a day or two. When ready to eat, reheat in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes to get back to that crispy texture.
- Other Appliances: While I recommend an air fryer for this recipe, I have heard there’s a new lid that lets your Instant Pot start air frying too. Looking for an Air Fryer? You can get one on Amazon.
- Cooking Length: I say 7-9 minutes of total time in my recipe because it all depends on your exact air fryer and how crispy you like to cook yours. What happens if you cook asparagus too long? If you cook asparagus for too long, it will lose some of its nutrients and burn.
What can you do to make asparagus more flavorful? You make asparagus more flavorful by tossing it in some fresh chopped garlic (along with the oil, salt, and pepper) before air frying. It’s also tasty to sprinkle cooked asparagus with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or zest.
When plating air-fried asparagus, you may want to add some freshly grated Parmesan before serving. Or top it off with some chopped, toasted nuts.
Looking For More Great Vegetable Recipes? Try These:Print
Best Roasted Asparagus in the Air Fryer
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7-10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Roast your asparagus in an air fryer to get flavorful, crisp-tender asparagus in about half the time. It doesn't get much easier than this!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt to taste (about ½ teaspoon sea salt per pound of asparagus)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste (3-4 spins of a pepper grinder)
- Heat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Trim the asparagus by snapping or cutting off the dry, woody ends off the bottoms of the spears.
- Toss the spears in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the spears to the air fryer basket and cook until roasted, about 7-9 minutes. This time can vary based on the thickness of your asparagus. Use 5-6 minutes for thin stems.
- Remove from the air fryer basket and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Seasoning Ideas: Want to add more flavor to your asparagus? Toss your raw asparagus in some fresh chopped garlic (along with the oil, salt, and pepper) before cooking, sprinkle cooked asparagus with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or fresh lemon zest, add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese before serving, or top your cooked asparagus with some chopped, toasted nuts, like almonds or walnuts.
Storing Cooked Asparagus: Stored leftover asparagus in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a day or two. When ready to eat, reheat in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes to get back to that crispy texture.
Leave a Reply