This dish might be better titled “Everything But The Kitchen Sink Salad” because it has so many ingredients, but trust me – it’s worth it. It’s insanely good + insanely good for you.
The ingredients here are packed with loads of nutrients and fiber, and the healthy fats and plant-based proteins will fill you up and keep your energy high all day.
The high nutrient content and anti-inflammatory properties of each ingredient will help boost your immune system and decrease inflammation in your body.
I usually make a large batch and eat from it for a few days for lunch. Refrigerate it in the original mixing bowl (covered), or portion it out into individual glass containers for a grab-and-go lunch or dinner. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Mediterranean Herb Quinoa Salad Recipe
Prep time: about 15 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, grated, or pressed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup radish, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 handful arugula, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup organic crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (~1-2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil, add the quinoa and reduce to medium heat. Let simmer about 20 minutes until all of water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature. You can put it in the refrigerator to cool it more quickly. (You can prepare the quinoa up to 4 days early and keep it in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator.)
While the quinoa cooks:
– First, mix the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and let sit while you chop the veggies to allow the garlic to infuse the dressing.
– Second, chop/prepare and reserve the rest of the ingredients to be mixed into the salad.
Add all ingredients and dressing to the bowl of quinoa and toss until well combine.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to develop together.
P.S. Growing your own herbs make this salad quite affordable. 🙂