If you’re looking for a quick, simple and healthy family breakfast, then look for further.
Family-Style Overnight Oats is the ultimate healthy breakfast for a crowd. It’s so simple, inexpensive and healthy that it’s almost too good to be true.
I made this recipe even healthier by adding chia and hemp seeds for extra fiber, omega-3 fats and anti-inflammatory nutrients. Top it with nutrient-filled berries and apples, and you have a true superfood breakfast that requires less than 10 minutes of prep time.
This recipe is:
Gluten-Free*, Dairy-Free, Vegan,
Nut-Free, No-Bake, High-Fiber
Simple, Healthy & Delicious
Make it as the main dish if you want a healthful simple breakfast before a family gathering, or a side dish for a larger brunch party. We make this Christmas Eve day to fill up on a healthy breakfast Christmas morning before our afternoon feast, but it’s great any time of year.
It doesn’t get any easier than throwing ingredients in a large dish then serving it the next day. Just pour, mix and store. Not only is this great for a gathering, but it makes a fantastic make-ahead meal for a quick breakfast weekday mornings. Make it on Sunday for breakfast all week long.
This Family-Style Chia & Hemp Seed Overnight Oats is no-bake but it does need to sit in the refrigerator overnight to allow the oats and seeds to absorb the milk. It’s seriously one of the easiest delicious family breakfasts you’ll ever put together. We like ours served chilled, right out of the refrigerator, but you can also warm it up in the oven for a more classic oatmeal breakfast.
- 4 cups whole rolled oats, preferably organic
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts)
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk, or non-dairy milk of your choice
- About 2 cups berries, chopped apples or other fruit for the top
- Optional: ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Optional: a drizzle of raw honey or real maple syrup for flavor, nutrients, and natural sweetness
- Combine all ingredients except the fruit in a 2 quart dish or pan. Cover and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Top with fruit before serving. Serve chilled right out of the refrigerator, or warm through in a 325°F oven for 20-30 minutes if desired. Will keep in the refrigerator up to five days.
If you prefer your overnight oats served warm, prepare the recipe according to the instructions in an oven-safe dish. In the morning or before serving, preheat the oven to 300F. Add an additional ¼ cup of milk to the pan, then heat in the oven for 20-30 minutes until warmed through. Top with fruit and honey or maple and serve.
Raw honey is technically not vegan, so if you prefer a vegan dish use maple syrup
*Oats are gluten-free by nature, but often stored with gluten-containing grains so trace amounts of gluten can be present. Look for certified gluten-free oats if gluten is a concern.
If you’re looking for single-serve overnight oats or more flavor ideas, check out these recipes:
If you make this recipe, let us know how it turns out in the comments below.