- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in hot water for 1 hour, then rinsed
- 3 ½ cups filtered water
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon good-quality vanilla extract (or 1 whole vanilla bean)
- Pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup whole chia seeds
- Optional: heavy pinch of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest, or 5 fresh mint leaves
- Soak the cashews in hot water for 1 hour, or in room temperature water for up to 12 hours to soften. Start by making homemade cashew milk. Place the cashews, water, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt into a high powered blender (like a Vitamix) and blend until smooth and ultra-creamy, about 30 seconds on high. You can also add any other flavorings to the blender at this point. Pour into a mixing bowl, then add the chia seeds and whisk together. Transfer to a glass storage container, then put it in the refrigerator to soak and thicken for at least 1 hour. Will keep in the refrigerator up to 5 days in an airtight glass container.
Enjoy it plain or garnish with berries. It’s great as a mid-day snack, or serve it in pretty cups for a beautiful vegan dessert.