This classic tuna salad recipe comes together in less than 5 minutes for a healthy filling meal or snack. I always make 2 cans because it keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days (cook once, eat 2-3 times!) but you can easily halve this recipe if needed. This recipe makes 4 regular or 3 large servings. Play around with the celery, relish, and optional onions to make it exactly how you like it.
- 2 (5-ounce) cans of albacore tuna (packed in water, not oil)
- 3 tablespoons Veganaise (or mayo of your choice)
- 3 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced celery (from 1 stalk celery)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red or green onion
- 2 teaspoons minced dill pickles or fermented pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or parsley
Step 1: Open the cans of tuna and drain & discard the liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork to flake the tuna until it’s all uniformly flaked (about 60-90 seconds).
Step 2: Finely chop (mince) the celery and add it on top of the tuna. Push the tuna and celery to the side of the bowl if possible. This allows the dressing to be mixed in the same bowl to save dishes.
Step 3: In the other side of the bowl, quickly mix the Veganaise, relish, sea salt, and black pepper (and minced onion/pickles/fermented relish if using) to make the dressing, then mix the dressing into the tuna and celery. Adjust salt and pepper if needed (I almost always add more pepper). Serve on cucumbers, crackers, or bread.
I think Albacore tuna has the best taste so that's what I buy. I also like to buy from brands that are committed to sustainability. I typically get the Wild Planet brand.
Keywords: tuna salad recipe