Ranch Water is a refreshing no-sugar-added cocktail that originated in West Texas and has recently gained popularity and for good reason.
This simple yet delicious drink has become a staple of summer, providing a refreshing and easy-to-make option for those hot days spent lounging by on the patio or hanging out with friends. We like to enjoy it with Shredded Chicken Tacos and Pico de Gallo with chips.
The combination of tequila blanco, fresh lime juice, and sparkling Topo Chico makes for a perfectly balanced and refreshing drink that is sure to quench your thirst and leave you feeling cool and relaxed.
What Is Ranch Water?
Ranch water is a cocktail drink made with tequila, fresh lime juice, and sparkling mineral water. The drink is typically served over ice and is often garnished with a lime wedge. The proportions of each ingredient can vary depending on personal preference.
While enjoying your delicious Ranch Water, it’s important to remember to drink responsibly. Many of us have had those nights where we’ve had one too many cocktails and wake up feeling like we were hit by a truck. So, let’s avoid that by pacing ourselves and drinking in moderation.
Ranch Water Ingredients
The beauty of Ranch Water is that there’s no exact science to it. You can adjust the quantities to your liking, but here’s a good starting point:
- Tequila Blanco: Use 1.5 ounces (1 shot*) tequila (I prefer blanco, you can use any tequila that works for you)
- Fresh lime juice: 1.5 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about half a shot glass)
- Topo Chico sparkling water: Use about 4 ounces Topo Chico** (or any sparkling water)
*1 shot of tequila is typically around 1.5 ounces (oz) in the United States. However, it’s important to note that the definition of a “shot” may vary depending on where you are in the world. In some countries, a shot may be smaller or larger than 1.5 oz, so it’s always a good idea to clarify if you’re unsure. There are 2 tablespoons (tbsp) in 1 fluid ounce (oz).
**Topo Chico is a brand of sparking water that is highly carbonated (aka extra fizzy) and common in Ranch Water. However, you can use any sparking water that works for you.
The tequila you use is also important. While you don’t need to pull out your top-shelf liquor, you do want to use a mid-priced tequila. This usually correlates to the quality of the alcohol. You can use either tequila blanco (new or un-aged tequila) or tequila reposado (aged). The aged tequila has more nuance in flavor and makes for a more interesting drink.
How to Make Ranch Water
- Grab an 8-ounce glass and fill it halfway with ice.
- Pour in the tequila and fresh lime juice (about the juice of 1 medium lime).
- Top it off with Topo Chico or any sparkling mineral water.
- Stir everything together until combined.
- Sip, enjoy, and adjust the quantities to your liking as there is no exact science behind Ranch Water.
That’s it! A simple, refreshing cocktail that’s perfect for hot summer days or any time you want to relax with a drink in hand.
Ranch Water is a simple and refreshing drink made with tequila, fresh lime juice, and Topo Chico sparkling water. The drink is typically served over ice and is often garnished with a lime wedge. The proportions of each ingredient can vary depending on personal preference.
- 1.5 ounces (1 shot) tequila blanco (or tequila of your choice)
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about half a shot glass)
- 4 ounces Topo Chico
- Ice, for serving
- Lime slices, for garnish
Grab an 8-ounce glass and fill it with ice halfway. Pour in tequila and lime juice. Top with Topo Chico. Add a slice of lime if you want to feel fancy. Enjoy!