After posting this photo of my Health Coach Turkey Sandwich on Instagram last week I got a flood of emails asking about it. Today I'm going to teach you how to make this healthier version of a good ol' favorite.
While gluten-free bagels aren’t a whole food, sometimes you’ve gotta give into a comfort cravings and re-make an old standby into something even better. This healthier turkey sandwich is gluten-free and dairy-free, but FULL of flavor.
The avocado replaces the need for mayo, and you won't even really miss the cheese because there is so much texture and other good stuff going on. You can also just leave the turkey off and make this an equally delicious veggie/vegan sandwich, too.
What You'll Need:
- a gluten-free bagel (I used Udi's "Everything" flavor)
- ½ of an avocado (or a whole avocado if not using turkey)
- deli turkey, preferably organic but at least nitrate-free & preservative-free
- 2 small pieces of leaf lettuce, or your favorite greens
- chives, or your favorite kind of onion (red onion would be delish here)
- 1 big tomato, sliced into 2 or 3 ¼ inch slices (you'll have some left over)
- sprouts, I used broccoli sprouts, but any kind you have/love will work
- hot sauce is optional, I used sriracha
What To Do:
Toast the bagel (or not if you prefer.) Starting on the bottom, layer sliced avocado (mash it a little so it stays put), turkey, chives/onion, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, more avocado on top with the hot sauce if you're using it. Careful not to overstuff it or it will fall apart on you.
This is a hearty meal -- I ate it after a big workout session. It's full of good stuff to keep you full and satisfied. I hope you like it as much as I do.
Join me on Instagram (elizabeth_rider) for daily clean food inspiration and even more healthy recipes.