If you haven’t tried coconut water yet you’re missing out!
Coconut water is the clear liquid inside of the young coconut, not to be confused with coconut milk or coconut creme which is the white flesh of the fruit blended with water until smooth. Coconut milk/creme is also good for you but is high in fat and calories. Coconut water, on the other hand, is naturally low in calories, fat-free, and can be enjoyed daily.
Here are five reasons you should be drinking coconut water:
1. Coconut water is full of good nutrition.
As mentioned above, coconut water is naturally low in calories, fat-free and low on the glycemic index. It’s also loaded with B Vitamins, Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and other essential minerals.
2. Coconut water is naturally purified.
The process of the water traveling through the coconut tree through the plant naturally purifies the water contained inside the fruit.
3. Coconut water super hydrating and full of electrolytes.
Coconut water contains more electrolytes and less sugar than most sports drinks; it also contains more potassium than bananas. Hollywood celebrities rely on it for healthy, glowing skin for it’s hydrating and nutritious qualities (drink up!).
4. Coconut water naturally antibacterial and antimicrobial.
These properties can be beneficial in fighting infections, warding off disease, and boosting your immune system. It can also help balance the ratio of good-to-bad bacteria in your digestive tract.
5. It’s delicious!
Coconut water has a delightful mild taste. Even people who don’t care for coconut usually like it. Different brands will taste a little different as the coconuts come from different parts of the world – try a few different brands until you find the one you like best. Just make sure the only ingredient is coconut water and that it doesn’t have anything added to it.
A few other fun facts:
- Coconut water is an excellent hangover cure, mostly because it’s so hydrating.
- Coconut water is considered a “universal donor” and can be used as a substitute for blood plasma.
- Coconut water contains high amounts of lauric acid, which is the compound in breast milk that aids the body in fighting infection.