I am totally obsessed with this salad right now. It’s a great big healthy delicious party-in-your-mouth.
Most Cobb Salads are topped with processed deli meats (hello excess sodium and preservatives), bacon (delicious, but not good for you), and dairy like blue cheese and ranch. My version is way better for you and I have to say, I think actually tastes better, too.
Simply choose the ingredients you want to use and arrange them in a shallow bowl like the photo. Drizzle with your favorite healthy dressing and you’ve got a delicious salad that you’ll want to eat over and over again.
Tips For Making Healthy Salads You’ll Crave
- Pay attention to the texture of each ingredient as it can make or break your salad. For instance, chop your store-bought/pre-washed greens and take time to spiralize or shred your carrots. A big pile of lettuce with a handful of baby carrots makes for a pretty boring meal. Play with different textures and arrangements to keep things interesting.
- Add something crunchy that is still healthy, like raw nuts and/or raw seeds.
- Something sweet always rounds out a salad. Add a little healthy sweetness with a few chopped Medjool dates, unsweetened dried cranberries, chopped apple, or even berries. Avoid sugar-filled dried fruit to keep your salad healthy.
- Use a healthy homemade dressing; they’re full of flavor and health benefits and cost less than store-bought dressing.
- Make it pretty! You eat with your eyes first. It just takes a minute or two to arrange the ingredients in a shallow bowl and it makes all the difference.
One of the best parts about this type of meal is that you can find just about everything here on your natural grocery store’s salad bar. When I’m in a pinch I’ll just build it right off the salad bar, buy an avocado and bring it home and arrange it on the plate.
If you have time to think ahead, buy enough of each ingredient for 3-4 meals. Chop or prepare each item for an easy grab and mix meal a few days later.
Health Coach Cobb Salad Recipe
listed in clockwise order in the photo above
- 3 tablespoons cooked quinoa, topped with a few pieces of shredded purple cabbage from the salad bar
- 5 grape tomates, halved
- small handful of arugula (use any greens) covered with 3 pitted, chopped dates
- 6 cucumber slices (I sliced them thin on a handheld mandoline)
- 1 hard boiled egg, cut in half and sprinkled with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (small palmful) of microgreens (use any greens)
- 2 tablespoons of freshly made hummus
- 1/4 cup spiralized carrots (use a spiralizer at home or some grocery stores have them pre-spiraled. Or, substitute julienned or shredded carrots)
- 1 handful spring lettuce mix, chopped
- In the middle: 1/2 of a small avocado filled with 1 teaspoon each raw pumpkin and raw sunflower seeds
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of Healthy Homemade Honey Mustard, or substitute Healthy Homemade Vegan Ranch or The Perfect Balsamic Vinaigrette
Method: Arrange in a wide shallow bowl as listed above. Enjoy!
Want More? Elizabeth Eats Series 2 Is Here
Series 2 of my TV Show is now available on FMTV; click here to watch it on FMTV.
Join Certified Health Coach and popular food blogger, Elizabeth Rider, as she shares her favorite recipes that are guaranteed to change the way you think about healthy home cooking. Her simple recipes and easy-to-make swaps recreate some of your favorite comfort foods and introduce you to entirely new soon-to-be favorites. Watch as she walks you through making each delicious dish step-by-step.
Easy to follow, fun to watch, and delightful to sample, this fresh series will leave you looking forward to cooking your way to a healthier, happier you. No tofu, cardboard, or deprivation required.
In this series you will learn how to prepare the following recipes:
- Homemade Pho Soup & Vietnamese Bahn Mi Wraps
- Easy Vegan Red Thai Curry & Homemade Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Incredible 10-Minute Salmon & Superfood Watermelon Mint Pops
- All About Almonds: Almond Milk, Almond Butter & Almond Cookies
- Thai Peanut Superfood Slaw
- Daily Healthy No-Cook Meal Plan: Overnight Oats, Avocado Wraps, and Secret-Ingredient Tuna Boats
- 3 Decadent, Yet Healthful, Appetizers Everyone Will Love
- 3 Delicious Whole Food Smoothies To Fuel Your Day
- Traditional Homemade Pizza With Zesty Vegan Kale Caesar Salad