This easy recipe for deviled eggs is a staple in American cooking. Make the classic just as written, or get creative with add-ins and toppings.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I like Veganaise; use your favorite mayo)
- 1 teaspoon mustard (I like Dijon; plain yellow mustard is a classic flavor too)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or fine sea salt (I use Real Salt); start with a little less than 1/2 teaspoon and add more if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: dash of Tabasco or hot sauce, or 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Garnish: paprika or toppings of your choice, for garnish
- Slice the hardboiled eggs in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the yolk and transfer to a bowl.
- Using the back of a fork, mash egg yolks until they are a fine powder. Add mayonnaise, mustard, (hot sauce, lemon juice or vinegar, if using) salt, and pepper to egg yolks. Stir the mixture to combine until filling is smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Fill egg whites with yolk mixture. Sprinkle a light dusting of paprika on top for traditional deviled eggs. Or, top with desired toppings. Serve immediately or chill before serving.
Keywords: How to Make Deviled Eggs, Classic Deviled Eggs