This healthy overnight oats recipe is a staple in my breakfast routine. It’s easy, full of fiber, and easy to customize to make it your own. Don’t forget the vanilla extract in the milk, it really elevates the flavor and turns bland oats into a gourmet breakfast.
- 1 banana, sliced (or any fruit of your choice)
- 1–2 tablespoons of unsweetened almond butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 cup of whole rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any unsweetened nut milk)
- 1 teaspoon organic maple syrup (100% real maple syrup), or raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon high-quality vanilla extract
- optional: berries to top
- You’ll need a wide-mouth pint-sized mason jar or similar glass container with a secure fitting lid.
- In a separate container, mix your nut milk, natural sweetener and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In your mason jar, layer the ingredients as follows: 3-4 slices of banana, 2 dollops of almond butter, 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds, 1/2 cup oats, then repeat two or three times until there is a 1-inch gap between the top of the ingredients and top of the mason jar.
- Pour your milk mixture over the oats leaving about 1/2 inch gap at the top to allow your oats to expand as they soak. Stick a knife or fork to the bottom of the jar a few times to make sure the milk soaks all the way through.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, or at least 6-8 hours to let the oats absorb the almond milk.
- You can get creative with this recipe and use berries instead of bananas, flax instead of chia, or any unsweetened nut milk or nut butter that you fancy.