With tomatoes ripe this season it’s an obvious choice to try a Caprese salad. Made with heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and a tasty homemade pesto sauce, you really can’t go wrong.
- 2-3 medium heirloom tomatoes, any color, sliced
- 6-ounces (or 1 ball) of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced*
- 1 bunch microgreens
- Red pepper flakes, optional
Mint Pesto Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Arrange fresh tomato slices and mozzarella on a plate. Top with microgreens and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- In a food processor or blender, add the basil, mint, olive oil, pine nuts, salt, and lemon juice. Then, pulse until smooth.
- Drizzle a bit of pesto over your salad and reserve the rest.
*Make this dish dairy-free by subbing the cheese for fresh slices of avocado.
Keywords: caprese salad, caprese salad recipe, heirloom tomato caprese salad, summer salad recipe