This baked oatmeal is one of my favorite recipes to make because it is packed with nutrients and so delicious.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any type of milk you prefer)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (OR honey, or sweetener of your choice; more or less to taste)
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup apple sauce, or 1 flax egg if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups whole rolled oats
- 1 cup berries of your choice, fresh or frozen (we like blueberries)
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds of your choice (we like slivered almonds or sunflower seeds)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons melted butter of ghee, slightly cooled
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish (or equivalent) with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk (or milk of your choice), egg, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- Stir in the oats and seeds/nuts and berries, if using.
- Pour into the baking sheet.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, until the oats have absorbed the liquid and the oatmeal is set.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes and serve warm, room temperature, or cold. Keeps in the fridge up to 4 days.
Optional pre-step: Make your own oat flour by processing 1 cup of whole rolled old fashioned oats in a food processor for about two minutes, pausing every 30 seconds to let it settle. Process until milled into a fine flour. OR, buy oat flour in the bulk bins at your store.
- Calories: 188 (per serving WITH the walnuts)