This Superfood Black Bean & Quinoa Salad Recipe is one of my absolute favorite quick meals to make because it is packed with vital nutrients and so easy to make.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dry quinoa yields about 2 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, pressed, grated or finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for heat)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 red bell pepper, quarter inch chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 green onions, root removed, white and part of the greens chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 handful of cilantro, rough chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- Prepare the quinoa:
- Rinse it well in a fine mesh colander and drain all the water.
- Add the rinsed quinoa to a pot and add double the amount of purified water or veggie stock.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low for about 15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork, and you’re done.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the olive oil, cumin, garlic, lime, salt, and cayenne together in the bottom of a large bowl to let the flavors marry.
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Chop the veggies until roughly the same size as the black beans.
- Add in the cooked quinoa, beans, and diced veggies to the bowl and gently fold it together with the dressing and cilantro.
- Let the salad chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors come together. It tastes best served at a chilled or room temperature.
What is the best way to store quinoa salad? The best way to store quinoa salad is in an airtight glass container inside of the refrigerator.
This quinoa salad keeps well in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
I always make at least double the quinoa I need—it keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days for another recipe.
When using green onions, remove the root end and peel off the outermost layer if it looks tough. Use everything else; both white and green parts are delicious.
To add extra spice, you could throw in some jalapeño, chipotle, or extra chili powder.
- Calories: 321 per serving