These Meal Prep Fajita Bowls are one of our favorite healthy meal prep ideas! They’re easy to customize and turn out awesome every time. You decide if you want to make them with chicken or black beans (vegetarian), or both. I suggest you make them to your liking by adding or omitting anything listed here.
Scroll through this entire post above the recipe card for over 30 health meal prep ideas!
- 2 cups shredded chicken (or any leftover chicken); from 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet taco seasoning, or make your own by using 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons ground chili powder, and 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup white or brown rice; (quinoa also works!)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon mild or medium chili powder, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (omit if desired)
- 2 limes
- sea salt or Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Sour cream; sub plain Greek yogurt if desired
- Shredded cheese
- Prepare the shredded chicken (recipe here). Add a packet of taco seasoning or 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons ground chili powder, and 2 teaspoons salt to the InstantPot or Slow Cooker Chicken to add extra flavor to the chicken. Or use any leftover chicken you have, or buy cooked chicken at the deli counter at your store.
- Prepare the rice according to the package instructions. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice (from 1 small lime) at the end of cooking to add flavor.
- Prepare the onions and peppers. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers with 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, chili powder, and salt. Add a few spins of freshly ground black pepper. Saute the onions and peppers 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- While the onions and peppers cook, prepare the beans if using. Add the drained and rinsed beans to a medium saucepan or skillet with 1/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the beans to absorb the spices. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Alternatively, you can skip this part and simply add the plain drained and rinsed beans to the meal prep bowls with a pinch of salt.
- Assemble the meal prep fajita bowls. I like to add a row of rice, then a row of peppers and onions, then a row of chicken and/or a row of beans. Cut a lime into 4 wedges and add 1 wedge to each bowl and squeeze on top of everything right before eating. If adding salsa or sour cream, I suggest putting them in small containers (you can use compostable/disposable cups like in the images here, or any small container you have) to prevent everything from getting soggy. If adding shredded cheese, put it on top of the rice or in a small container to prevent it from getting soggy.
Fajita meal prep bowls are meant to be customized to your liking. Use everything listed here, or omit anything that doesn’t work for you. Prepped bowls will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Keywords: meal prep, meal prep fajita, healthy meal prep ideas